What tree is complete without something a little special at the very top? My solution to the problem of not having anything was this---a scandinavian style appliqued felt star to perch atop my tree!
What you need:
Red + White Wool Felt
Kapok (for stuffing)
1" by 24" Strip of Fabric or Ribbon
Sewing Machine (optional)
1. Cut out red felt according to template (Download Template) I used pinking shears long the outer edges of mine.
2. Stitch it down to a piece of white felt using red thread and stitching around the cutouts. Cut white felt 1/2" away from the edge of the red applique.
3. Place star on top of another piece of white felt cut to the same size, and stitch along the outside edge of the red applique through all three layers. Stop when you have almost made it all the way around so there is an opening to stuff it through.
4. Stuff star lightly with kapok and stitch the opening shut.
5. Using a needle and thread hand stitch the length of ribbon to the back of the star. Stitch the center of the fabric/ribbon to the center of the back of the star.
6. Use fabric/ribbon to tie the star to the top of your tree (now is the time to tie a pretty bow!) and admire your lovely handiwork!
p.s. I had every intention of posting this yesterday but the day seemed to fill itself right up! Sometimes a girl needs an extra day, ya know?